If a dessert has raspberries in it, then I will be ordering and inhaling it. It’s my flavor trump card. I love their vibrant color, tart taste, and ability to make me feel healthy while eating dessert. So when a friend requested a cake with raspberry filling, it gave me an excuse to create a new recipe with one of my favorite ingredients.
If you caught my last post, you know that we’re building this cake in three parts. We started with creamy and decadent Italian Buttercream, today we’re diving into the filling, and next time we’ll get to the actual cake. I wanted to separate each bit, because they’re all cake staples that can be used together or on their own in countless ways. Take these recipes and then get inspired to make new combinations of your own. That’s enough motivational baking—on to the filling.
I love surprises, so I love when a cake has a filling. It adds color, a whole new flavor, and makes the cake all together more special. This raspberry filling is like a loose jam and takes about 45 minutes of low-maintenance time on the stove. It’s a super quick and easy way to enhance a cake.
Of course, this filling is great for cakes, but it would also be perfect for spreading on biscuits, pouring over some fluffy pancakes, or if you want to experiment, swirling into some dark chocolate brownies. YUM.
- 2 pints raspberries
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- Place three metal spoons in the freezer.
- Puree raspberries in a food processor, then push through a mesh sieve to remove all seeds. The remaining raspberry juice should be about 1 cup.
- Combine raspberry puree and sugar in a medium pot over medium low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- After ten minutes the filling will start to boil, stir frequently to avoid scorching.
- Add the lemon juice once the boil slows down. Cook to 200° about 30 minutes more.
- To check to see if the jam has set, remove the mixture from the heat, dip the back of one of the frozen spoons into the filling and return to the freezer for 5 min. If you can pull your finger through the jam and it hold its shape, then it’s set!
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for a week.