These Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies are a Christmas staple in my family. Drizzled with velvety white chocolate and packed with dried cranberries, toasted pecans, and oatmeal, it’s easy to see why I look forward to them every December!
Each year my mom does a massive Christmas baking session. And each year I ask her to make these cookies. I am obsessed. The brown sugar base is soft and adds a bit of warmth. I love the texture of the crunchy pecans with the chewy cranberries and oatmeal. The drizzle of chocolate is sweet and looks so elegant. In fact, I like them so much that I’m offering them in my Holiday Dessert Tins!
Leading up to Christmas, I try to eat as many of these cookies as possible, because 1) The red cranberries and white chocolate look so festive I just can’t stand it, and 2) I so associate them with the holiday that eating them in May would make my heart cry for twinkle lights and Mariah Carey’s Christmas album.
This recipe is just a basic oatmeal cookie, but the add ons make it a truly wonderful treat!
First, make sure to toast your pecans pieces. Throw them on a sheet pan at 350°F for 5-7 minutes. Keep a close eye, because they can burn easily. When there’re ready, the pecans will be fragrant and have a deep, almost brown butter flavor. I love this extra layer and recommend toasting all nuts in cookie recipes.
We use to dunk half of the cookie in white chocolate. For me, a little white chocolate goes a lonnnng way, so we did away with the dunk and now just drizzle the cookies with chocolate. You still get some richness from the chocolate. Plus, I think the cookies look prettier this way. I like living life under the assumption that Ina Garten could show up at my house at any moment, so presentation matters!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups craisins
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces, toasted
- 1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 oz. white chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare pans with non-stick mat or parchment. Set aside.
- Cream butter and bother sugars together until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until just combined.
- Fold in pecans, craisins, and oats by hand.
- Scoop out 2 inch wide dough balls.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottom edges are golden and the tops no longer appear wet.
- Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes. Move to cookie rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with melted white chocolate.
- Store in an air tight container for a week.