Packed with tequila and puckery lime, these Margarita Cupcakes prove that margs aren’t just for drinking.
A long, long time ago, in March of 2015, I shared my Margarita Cupcakes. Also in March of 2015, I had a fondness for surrounding my pictures with giant black borders. Oh, and I took those pictures on my state of the art iPhone 4. Times they have a-changed. And because they have changed, I thought it was time for an update.
This Margarita Cupcake recipe has been in my sugary repertoire since I was in college. The days when I first fell in love with baking and pushed assorted baked goods on my roommates. During that time, I made Cookie Monster cupcakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch cupcakes, and even Butterbeer Cupcakes.
But the one cupcake that everyone asked for over and over again were these Margarita Cupcakes, and rightly so. The cake itself has just the right amount of puckery lime flavor, while the buttercream is packed with tequila tang.
My favorite part of this recipe is what I refer to as the “tequila bath.” Immediately after taking the freshly baked cupcakes out of the oven, stab the top of the cupcakes with a sharp knife several times. Then take a basting brush and generously pat each cupcake with tequila. It creates an incredibly moist cake that has a definite but not overpowering tequila taste.
Speaking of which, there is tequila in the batter, the bath and the frosting. How does the song go? One tequila, two tequila, three tequila…
Cinco de Mayo is this Friday, and these Margarita Cupcakes would be a perfect end to your taco feast. But if you ask me, they taste just as good any other day of the year!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 2 Tbs tequila
- 2 Tbs more tequila, for bath
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 Tbs tequila
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 lime, for optional decoration
- Preheat oven to 325F. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping well after each.
- In a separate bowl, mix together buttermilk, lime juice, lime zest and tequila.
- Add in a third of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk mixture, alternating between the two and making sure to end with the flour. Don’t over mix!
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Immediately stab the top of the cupcakes several times with a sharp knife and brush the cupcakes with the second amount of tequila for a "bath."
- Zest one lime and set aside.
- Cream the butter. Start on low speed and mix in powdered sugar gradually increasing the speed.
- Slowly add in lime juice, tequila and salt until fluffy. If you dare to be bold and add in more tequila, you may need to add in more powdered sugar to stiffen it up.
- Decorate cupcakes, sprinkle the reserved lime zest and top with a lime wedge. Now shove into your face and enjoy!